Roanoke River Lighthouse Restoration

NC Division of Natural and Cultural Resources
Special Consultants
Dixon Associates


The Purpose

The c.1885 Roanoke River Lighthouse is the last surviving square-sided screw-pile lighthouse.  De-commissioned in 1955 and moved by boat from the mouth of the Roanoke River to a river-bank in Edenton the lighthouse was used as a private dwelling until the late 90s. We reconstructed the missing substructure by studying a few remaining photos like the one below, oversaw the restoration of the building and substructure, and directed the move from land to its new site in the river.